U.S. courses dominate Clubhouse of the Year

This year’s Clubhouse of the Year competition went back to its roots, as many of the 21 entries came from U.S. states known for high-quality golf facilities. Only one honoree, Espiche Golf Club (photographed) in Algarve, Portugal, was from outside the United States.

Several entries came from expected locations, those steeped in the culture of golf and leisure: Florida, California, South Carolina, Georgia and Virginia.

“Though international projects had great showings in past contests, this year’s best projects were from the United States,” said Jack Crittenden, Editor in Chief of Golf Inc. “Several of the entries beautifully illustrated the intersection of tradition and modernity in their designs.”

As always, the range of designs, both interior and exterior, impressed Golf Inc.’s four judges. This year’s judging panel includes Kenneth Hart, principal of Kenneth Hart Architecture and past clubhouse honoree for his work at Iverness Country Club in Birmingham, Ala.; Angel del Monte, founding principal and Vice President of Alfonso Architects, the team behind the Streamsong Resort clubhouse which placed 2nd in the new construction category last year; Frank Benzakour, general manager at Village Club of Sands Point; and Linda Blair, principal of Image Design, an interior design firm recognized by Golf Inc. in 2012 for its work at Shadow Wood Country Club in Bonita Springs, Fla. They judged entries based on three factors: efficiency (25 percent), aesthetics (25 percent) and overall design concept (50 percent).

A number of the projects boast amenities for the golfer, member and family alike including: pools, fitness centers, card rooms, restaurant, lounges and more.

Golf Inc. separated the entries into two categories: new construction and renovation. Nine projects earned scores high enough to be honored in the 2015 Clubhouse of the Year feature, including three honorable mentions. The order of this year's winners will be announced in the upcoming May/June issue of Golf Inc.

This year's winners are listed below in alphabetical order:

New Construction

Cobblestone Park Golf Club in Blythewood, S.C. 

Espiche Golf Club in Algarve, Portugal 

Plantation Golf Club in Hilton Head Island, S.C. 

TPC Stonebrae Country Club in Hayward, Calif.

There will be a first, second and third place, and one honorable mention.


Bonita Bay Club in Bonita Springs, Fla.

Los Altos Golf & Country Club in Los Altos, Calif. 

SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Wis.

St. Clair Country Club in Upper St. Clair, Pa.

The Country Club at DC Ranch in Scottsdale, Ariz.

There will be a first, second and third place, and two honorable mentions. 


What an absolutely beautiful clubhouse. One of the finest I have ever seen.

When is the next Clubhouse of the Year competition?

Next year, email me at laira@cypressmagazines.com and I can send you details. - Laira Martin, Golf Inc. Associate Editor

Add new comment

If you enjoyed this article and would like to sign up for a FREE digital subscription, click here!